Thursday, January 9, 2014

Finger Knitting a Scarf

Last night, after bed time, I got to thinking about knitting. I am able to crotchet pretty well and I have tried knitting with a knitting loom. I have heard about the arm knitting, so I thought I would try my hand at it. After watching some YouTube videos and trying my darnedest to make mine look like theirs, I got to thinking. Maybe I could knit with my fingers as well. So, I tried and it turned out great. It was a lot like a knitting loom, but you don't need the loom itself. You can use your fingers. 
Here are some pictures of how I did it. 



Step 1.  Make a slip knot. If you don't know how, just google it. It's pretty easy. Make sure it's large enough to be able to go around all four fingers. 
Step 2. Twine the yarn around your fingers. So, it's enveloping your finger. Basically, just twist it around your finger. This reminds me of brass knuckles. 
Step 3. Do it again. Twine the yarn around your fingers again. So, this time you have two lines on each finger. Starting with your pinkie, take the bottom line of yarn and flip it over the top line. Do this on all fingers. 
Step 4-however long you want it. Keep twining and flipping. The step 4 picture above show what it looks like when you have some chains together. 

After you get it to your desired length (I just had it wrapped around my neck a few times) you will want to cast off. Here, you'll just take your four loops and use the length of yarn you have at the start of your scarf from your slip knot and stitch it together. There is no rhyme or science behind this, just close her up. Tie lots of knots to hide your ends inside the scarf. This makes it an infinity scarf and if you've tied well, you won't be able to see where the start/end of your scarf is. 

I am able to wrap it around my neck 4 times, which is perfect to achieve the infinity scarf, cozy look. In all, I think this took me about 30 minutes. Super quick, super easy. Takes no thinking at all. Just my cup of tea. 
I also have other yarn that I might make into these too. 
Emma wants a pink one. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment