Monday, October 7, 2013

Backyard Bounty

We have two fruit trees in our backyard- An apple tree and a pear tree.  We’ve been in this house for over two years and this is our third fall here. We decided that this would be the fall where we finally try to take advantage of our fruity situation in the backyard.




It’s that time of year where both types of fruit are ripening up and are good for the picking. With this ripening, they fall off the trees…hence this mess on the ground. Some of these apples have been bitten into by the birds. Some of the pears have been stepped on or mowed over and were literally mush, 
mashed into the ground.



Yesterday afternoon, we went into the backyard and started picking up these pieces of fruit that have made their way to the ground. And by we, I mean me. I did most of the picking up. Which is fine, because I was quite a bit quicker than my husband and my 4-year-old daughter. Bless their pear-loving hearts!



Once the fruit was picked up, things were looking better. Like maybe now we look like we know what we’re doing and are getting the hang of it.

 Now to the fun part, picking the pieces of fruit off of the tree that looked as though
 they could fall off at any moment.



This is what we got. The apple tree is not quite as bountiful as our pear tree. 
Our pear tree rocks my socks! We get the ripest, juiciest pears a girl could ever ask for. 

The question now, is, what to do with our bucket of pears.
I have some ideas running through my head of what recipes to try with these apples and pears. 
That’s why I have a Pinterest account J



For now, though, we’ll just enjoy eating them out of our bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment