Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Freezer Paper Fun

Freezer paper stenciling is one of my most favorite things to play with when I have time to make a project. I buy mine at Walmart in the aluminum foil section and have had the same box for years now. It goes a long way. 

Today, I tried my hand with a few pieces of clothing I felt were boring. A plain white tee and a plain purple tank top. 

I started by getting my star craft punch. Then you just punch out the stars on your freezer paper. Super easy, right? Then you grab an iron that has been heating up, and you place the freezer paper matte side up. You want the glossy side down. This is the side that adheres itself to the fabric. It almost acts like a sticker. 



For this project, I wanted as little clean up as possible, so I just dropped some dots of fabric paint around on the stars. This way, I could just grab my small, foam brush and get to work pushing the paint around until the entire star was filled. It works best if you use a pressing method with your brush in an up and down action instead of the painting method where you're smearing back and forth. You have a better chance of not lifting up the freezer paper. I mean, it's on there pretty good, but why screw up your chance of it not being perfect. :)


After I got all of the stars filled in, I rinsed out my brush. Some might not care and could just throw it away at this time, but $0.20 is $0.20 and I like using mine as many times as possible. So, after my brush is drying I came back to peel the freezer paper off of the shirt. Literally, you peel it like a sticker. It comes off pretty easily. Then, ta-da. 
I have a brand new shirt ready to go. No more boring white shirt. Now, it's a declaration of independence. Wait, maybe not a declaration of independence, but it's definitely a declaration of fashion. I know I love how it turned out. 


I did the same thing with this purple tang top with polka dots. I used a hole punch with this shirt. Again, super easy, super quick. Just how I like my crafts. 



You should try it. It's really versatile. And, if you or your kids are anything like my Emma, you will need a little something-something on every shirt ever made. 
No matter how cute it looks solid-colored or how busy your momma is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment