Friday, October 18, 2013

Mommy Wars

I read an article on cnn.com- (http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/opinion/navarrette-maria-kang/index.html?hpt=hp_c2) about a woman who posted a picture of herself, in next to nothing, and text at the top that states “What’s Your Excuse?”I read the article and then could not stop myself from reading the comments as well. I have to say, it's kind of ridiculous.

Have you heard of the mommy wars? It’s not so much having to worry about keeping up with the Joneses, it’s worrying about keeping up with the mommies. I find myself in on that battlefield when it comes to reading blogs. A lot of the blogs I read are written by women who do not work outside of the home. They have children, but in many cases, these children are in school all day. They have plenty of time to do things around the house and blog about them. I do not have this same situation. I work 40 hours a week. I work about 20 minutes from home. That puts me away from home at least 9 ½ hours per day, 47 ½ hours per week. With 168 hours in a week, that takes me away from my home for 1/3 of the week. That’s a lot of time. Not to mention the house-hold chores including-but limited to- laundry, dishes, dusting, vacuuming, putting the clean clothes away, and sweeping the crumbs that never cease to exist on my kitchen floor. But then to throw being fit and healthy in the mix. Well it's just not fair. 

When I have a chance to go to the gym, it’s after work and before I pick up my girls from daycare. Some days, this only allots me 30 minutes or so. I still have to pick them up, get them home, get dinner cooked and on the table, and then helping bathe said girls and get them to bed. Not to mention actually spending quality time with them while doing quality activities. If this doesn't happen for me, sometimes I try to talk myself into going to the gym after my husband and I get the girls down for bed, but let’s be honest- once I’m home and the kids are in bed, that’s when I get cleaning done or some good ol’ fashion TV watching in. 

So, while I agree that this mommy in the article is super fit and might be an example for other moms, I feel she went about it in the wrong way. 
{Probably the Point- I heard she was on the Today show and have kept seeing/hearing about her every time I turn on the computer or the radio} Seriously, is it that earth-shattering. 
News flash- this crap has been happening and going around for a while now. 

Every mother is different. Every mother has a different story. And while some moms are stay-at-home moms and some moms are working moms, we all have the choice to do what we want with our rare precious spare time.

Sometimes, I do choose to go to the gym, sometimes I choose to pick up my girls earlier than expected. Sometimes, I even go to the store and buy myself a doughnut. Yesterday, I had ice cream for lunch...true story. 

Let's stop judging and caring so much about other people. We shouldn't judge each other or loathe against what other mothers have, we should be on the same team. The one that has pizza for dinner and sometimes veges out in front of the TV watching
 "My Fair Wedding: With David Tutera." Currently, that's my go-to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment